Reporting To: Head of Marketing Communications
Hours: 35 hours, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Flexi-time working policy also in operation)
Location: St Andrews (a mix of home and office working will be considered for this role)
The R&A runs The Open, The Senior Open and the AIG Women’s Open, elite amateur events, international matches and rankings. The R&A, through R&A Rules Ltd, governs the sport worldwide, outside of the United States and Mexico, on behalf of over 36 million golfers in 143 countries and with the consent of 157 organisations from amateur and professional golf.
The R&A is at the forefront in modernising the sport and making it more relevant to today’s society. The R&A’s purpose is to make golf more accessible, appealing and inclusive and to ensure it is thriving 50 years from now. Our Commercial department plays a key role in supporting that purpose and currently seeks to recruit a Marketing Channel Manager.
The successful candidate will work with the Commercial and Digital Technology (DT) departments to own, and be accountable for, the development, management and performance of The Open and AIG Women’s Open marketing channels. These include the Championship websites, Mobile apps, and livestreams and the Marketing Channel Manager will take ownership over the future development of these channels to ensure they offer a world class fan experience, while helping to enable the desired commercial outcomes of The Open and AIG Women’s Open.
The successful candidate will be able to use their experience of market and platform trends, as well as analytics and insights, to deliver market leading channels in order to bring to life The Open and AIG Women’s Open for our global fan base, customers, sponsors and other stakeholders.
Role and Responsibilities
- Responsible for delivering the strategic vision for The Open and AIG Women’s Open owned and paid channels and platforms including but not limited to: websites, app, display, widget, livestreams and ecommerce to facilitate the delivery of commercial targets.
- Develop, plan, implement and improve channel performance aligned with The Open and AIG Women’s Open’s commercial, marketing and audience strategies through collaboration with The R&A’s commercial, content, marketing communications and brand functions.
- Proactively identify and investigate new digital optimisation opportunities, including but not limited to: tools, services, processes and vendors.
- Manage foreign language platforms and in-market agencies.
- Define and own channel objectives, KPIs and performance metrics.
- Manage resources, budgets, processes, agencies, and key suppliers in line with operational and strategic plans.
- Collaborate with members of The R&A’s Commercial department to identify and enable opportunities to grow an owned and addressable audience.
- Work closely with The R&A’s performance & insights agency to identify and implement recommendations to enhance the experiences provided to fans and Patrons (sponsors) of The Open and AIG Women’s Open and improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Build strong relationships with agencies and internal teams to ensure The R&A are deriving the greatest value, innovation and creativity through our owned and paid channels.
- Identify opportunities to deliver new, and grow existing, revenue streams.
- Working in partnership with members of the Commercial department, define and align on business requirements for future channel, analytics and platform development.
- Act as the point of escalation within the Commercial department for The Open and AIG Women’s Open channels and platforms.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and teams in order to prioritise requirements and ensure successful delivery of events.
- Write business requirements and review user stories to feed into delivery teams (either The R&A’s own internal functions (DT) and/or 3rd Party suppliers).
- Working with DT team to review wireframes, designs and acceptance criteria to ensure solutions will deliver the desired business outcome.
- Working closely with the content team to influence social media strategies and maximise commercial opportunities.
Reporting & Optimisation
- Oversee the planning, execution and reporting of channel performance against a defined reporting framework.
- Create, in partnership with The R&A’s performance & insights agency, an optimisation roadmap for owned and paid channels.
- Responsible for the provision of Event Week reporting for The Open and AIG Women’s Open channels during the Championships.
- Track and ensure the delivery of contracted sponsorship rights to The Open and AIG Women’s Open Patrons across all channels.
- Plan and execute a programme of continuous improvement for owned and paid channels across the core customer journeys, using customer and market insight and segmentation to enhance search engine optimisation (SEO), aggregators and affiliates, digital content, PPC, programmatic display, social campaigns and e-commerce.
- Champion and articulate vision for commercial marketing channels while managing stakeholder expectations and requirements.
- Manage & influence colleagues to adopt a digital-first thinking related to audience engagement and experience.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with multiple stakeholders across The R&A and its agencies, gaining their buy in and engagement to support The R&A’s growth strategy.
- As part of the Commercial department’s Marketing team, help to shape, execute, and champion the groups commercial, customer and campaign strategies.
Experience and Knowledge
- Experience of channel management and digital marketing.
- Strong understanding and experience in using analytics and content manager systems (CMS).
- Experience in supporting the growth of social audiences and launching and/or scaling a direct to customer (D2C) native app.
- Experience of SEO, covering content, on-site, outreach and tactical SEO strategies in competitive sectors.
- Experience of working in a digital first environment and/or working within an Agile environment.
Skills and Personal Attributes
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse, geographically dispersed group including but not limited to: executives, managers and subject matter experts.
- Good technical and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work within tight time frames during busy periods using a professional manner to keep all relevant stakeholders informed.
- Ability to use initiative and work independently.
- Commercially astute – able to think independently and apply business objectives when considering solutions.
Please note that we are unable to provide sponsorship for a work visa so candidates should ensure they already have or are able to obtain the right to work in the UK before applying.
How your information will be used
If you have any questions about The R&A’s use of your data, please contact us.
This job description is written as an indication of the nature and scope of duties and responsibilities. It is not intended as a fully descriptive or definitive list and jobholders will be expected to carry out other duties assigned which are appropriate to the position.
The closing date is midday, 26th October 2021 at midday.
Please find the link to our recruitment portal where applicants can download the full job description and submit their application