Location: Haddington, East Lothian
Job Type: Part Time
Haddington & District ASC are a competitive swimming club affiliated to Scottish Swimming, East District & a member of the composite East Lothian Swim Team. We are a club dedicated to helping swimmers be the best they can be and to creating a safe and positive environment that nurtures the enjoyment and enthusiasm of every athlete within our club.
We currently have a vacancy for a Level 2 swimming coach to take on the role of Lead Coach for one of our three squads coaching competitive swimming to children generally aged between 9 to 12 years. This squad covers competitive swimmers en route to ELST, as well as swimmers who have returned from ELST or chosen not to follow a competitive journey.
The successful candidate must be able to:
- deliver a coaching programme derived from club plan to develop swimmers for competitive swimming
- attend competitions
- liaise with Head Coach and parents on matters relating to swimmers’ and club development.
The postholder is required to provide skilled and confident leadership to swimmers. The postholder is also required to provide the same skills and leadership to the club’s poolside helpers, with whom you must be able to liaise with and develop their knowledge. The postholder will be required to provide regular training sessions per week, run test sets, run land training sets and will be expected to attend competitions to support & encourage swimmers. Occasional cover for other squads will be required.
- Level 2 Coaching Swimming Qualification.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the principles of Long Term Athlete Development, as applied to Age Group Swimmers.
- PVG scheme membership
- Ability to communicate effectively with swimmers, coaches, volunteers and parents, and to give constructive and positive feedback
- A courteous manner, with impeccable punctuality.
Coaching and competition
The successful candidate is required to:
- Improve and develop the technical skills of club members in all 4 strokes
- Improve and develop competition starts and turns ensuring compliance with all current FINA regulations
- Develop the aerobic fitness and stamina of all swimmers in accordance with best practice as outlined in current recommendations on Long Term Athlete Development.
- Be able to develop progress plans based on Head coaches outline plan, competition and testing data
- To provide appropriate programme and individual swimmer evaluation, including working with swimmers on individual goal-setting
- To work positively with other members of the coaching team, working with the Head Coach and other Club Coaches to build a positive and cohesive environment
- Be able to use Hy-Tek Team Manager (training will be provided by the Club if required)
- Develop a positive and healthy mental attitude to the sport and competitive situations as well as encourage good habits in nutrition, sleep and well being.
This is a self-employed position and Haddington & District ASC will offer a competitive level of remuneration, dependent on experience and qualifications.
Initially the role will be approximately 7.5 hours/week, excluding galas and competitions.
The training sessions are based at swimming pools across East Lothian with the current training sessions for the squad as follows:
Tuesdays: 18:30 – 19:15 (land training) 19:30 – 21:00 (in the pool)
Thursdays 18:00 – 19:30
Fridays 18:00 – 20:00
Sundays 07:00 – 08:45
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like further details please contact:
Head Coach – Demi Borthwick email:- email@example.com
President email:- firstname.lastname@example.org