Location Edinburgh – Heart’s Football Academy
(Oriam, Scotland’s Sports Performance Centre)
Salary & Hours £15,000 pro-rata per annum (£37,500 FTE) plus excellent staff benefits
Position Part-time, 15 hours per week (including evenings and weekend work)
Closing Date 15 July 2022
Reporting to Head of Academy Performance
The Lead Academy Physiotherapist is a key role within the club’s performance department and is responsible for the diagnosis and acute/long-term care associated with players’ musculoskeletal injuries within the boys’ and girls’ academy. The Lead Academy Physiotherapist is also expected to ensure that all boys’ and girls’ academy games have appropriate physiotherapy provision through coordination of the matchday physiotherapists.
We are looking for a candidate who is highly motivated and passionate about working with and developing young athletes. In addition, we are seeking someone who can develop good working relationships with a variety of groups including fellow practitioners, coaches, parents, and players. The successful candidate will be joining a team of forward thinking and ambitious staff who are dedicated to creating an inclusive and supportive working environment.
- Coordinate match day physiotherapy cover for all boys’ and girls’ academy games (and mid-week clinics as necessary).
- Physiotherapy cover of players during evening clinics at the training ground including diagnosis, acute care/treatment and short- to long-term rehabilitation from injury. This includes the design and delivery of both pitch- and gym-based exercise programmes.
- Provide physiotherapy cover during selected academy match days including emergency on-pitch care/treatment when required.
- Liaise with the Head of Academy Performance and the Academy Manager, as appropriate, to assess players’ health status and contribute to informed professional decision-making on players’ fitness and readiness to train and play.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the performance department including doctors, sport scientists, nutritionists, psychologists, and other specialists, as required.
- Where appropriate be involved in conducting pre-signing player medical examinations.
- Maintain appropriate, current, legible and accurate medical records on the club’s Kitman system and ensure their confidential storage and compliance with data protection regulations.
- Ensure the club has the appropriate range and quantity of physiotherapy supplies available, which one would normally expect to be held within a professional football club academy.
- Within the limits of your professional scope and qualifications prescribe medication to players as appropriate.
- Liaise with external stakeholders to facilitate medical procedures taking place outside of the club e.g., hospital-based operations, consultations with specialist medical experts and other such activities.
- Assist other performance staff with regular fitness testing and growth/maturation monitoring of academy players throughout each season.
- Facilitate and proactively contribute to applied research projects as directed by the Head of Performance.
- Any other reasonable activities requested.
- Undergraduate degree in Physiotherapy or equivalent (E)
- HCPC registered physiotherapist (E)
- Advanced pitch-side care qualification e.g., sport PROMOTE, SCRUMCAPS etc. (E)
- Postgraduate qualification in Physiotherapy (D)
- Previous experience of providing physiotherapy services within a youth team sport environment.
- Commitment to professional development.
- Conscientious and committed to attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills in the written and spoken word.
- Excellent information technology skills.
- Critical thinking and analytical mind set.
- Strong character able to operate within a high-pressure working environment and put forward their point of view.
- Honesty and openness and an approachable demeanor.
How to apply: If you meet the job role criteria and would like to apply, please send a Covering letter and CV to Shannon Emerson, HR Advisor - Recruitment@homplc.co.uk by close of play on the 15 July 2022.
HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN FOOTBALL CLUB IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER AND FULLY COMMITTED TO THE SAFEGUARDING AND WELFARE OF VULNERABLE GROUPS. HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN IS A LIVING WAGE ACCREDITED COMPANY.