Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport (CWPS) supersedes the previous Safeguarding and Protecting Children (SPC) course. The training will provide you with the knowledge on child wellbeing and protection that will give you the confidence to deal with issues that may arise in your role working with children.
16 years + who are in regulated work, delivering or leading sporting activities.
eLearning module introducing you to the basic theory, knowledge and practice which underpins child wellbeing and protection in sport. On average it should take around 30 minutes to complete the module and you MUST complete this module before attending Module 2.
By the end of module 1 learners will be able to:
- Understand what is meant by ‘child wellbeing and protection’
- Recognise the value of a child-centered approach to child wellbeing and protection
- Identify good practice in relation to child wellbeing and protection and how this impacts the sports environment
- Recognise the legislative and policy framework around child wellbeing and protection
- Identify and respond to possible child wellbeing or protection concerns
- Identify the limits of your safeguarding role and know when to get support
A 3 hour face-to-face training course lead by one of sportscotland’s approved tutors. Learners must complete both modules to gain the qualification and receive their certificate. Due to COVID19 restrictions Module 2 can be delivered virtually. The Approved Tutor List indicates which tutors are able to deliver virtually.
By the end of module 2 learners will:
- Be introduced to the Spectrum of Practice and use it to consider, evaluate and respond to common coaching scenarios
- Receive an introduction to the factors that create a culture of poor practice
- Identify barriers to disclosure
- Cover the process for responding to concerns
- Put the responding to concerns process into practice to deal with serval complex cases
The course organiser is responsible for issuing certificates to learners. Organisers must provide a list of attendees to sportscotland to enable the generation of the certificate. Please note certificates will only be generated when learner have completed Module 1 and 2.
If you have not received your certificate within 4 weeks, in the first instance check with the course organiser.