Sport & physical activity have the power to change lives.
Evidence shows that being active brings about positive changes beyond participation and can impact positively on the health and wellbeing of individuals, on their skills and learning, and on communities, ensuring a more inclusive and healthier nation.
Sporting and non-sporting organisations can proactively use sport & physical activity as an intentional tool to achieve both increased participation and wider social outcomes.
These positive changes are most likely to happen if the organisations delivering sport and physical activity demonstrate the following;
- a clear understanding and commitment to the social outcomes the organisation wants to achieve.
- commitment to building organisational capacity
- thorough understanding of their community
- a person-centred approach
- the right staff & volunteers with the right skills set and values
- commitment to working in partnership
- commitment to removing barriers to participation and ensuring equality and inclusion
sportscotland, Scottish Government, The Robertson Trust and Spirit of 2012 are working together to deliver a wide programme of support and funding which aims to support organisations to use sport and physical activity as a driver to achieve positive individual and community change as a core element of the existing World Class Sporting System.
Programme and priorities
sportscotland, Scottish Government, The Robertson Trust and Spirit of 2012 have been working together to address the main recommendations in the Sport for Change report published in 2017. The key elements of the Changing Lives through Sport & Physical Activity work and priorities are noted below.
- The development of clear messaging and leadership roles around the Changing Lives through Sport & Physical Activity approach
- The development of a range of active and passive learning and development support to build knowledge, skills and capacity. This is targeted at the workforce which supports delivery organisations, and also directly at the delivery organisations themselves, and focusses on effective approaches to delivering change, and on effective organisations
- The delivery of a “Changing Lives through Sport & Physical Activity Fund’ provides short term additional resource into the sporting and community sector to better address wider individual and community needs through sport & physical activity and support them to become and stay active. For information about the fund
- Changing lives through sport and physical activity fund
- Changing Lives through Sport and physical activity overview
- Sport for change research