Our homemade beans are delicious on their own, as an addition to eggs on toast or as a side dish with dinner!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
- Butter beans - 1 can
- Tomatoes (chopped) - 2 cups
- Onion (chopped) - 1 medium
- Tomato puree - 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic (crushed) - 2 cloves
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Parsley (chopped) - 2 tablespoons
- Oregano (dried) - 1 teaspoon
You will need:
- 1 large frying pan
- 1 large ovenproof dish
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic, then cook over a medium heat fro 5-10 mins until softened (not browned).
- Add the tomato puree, cook for a further 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and oregano then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the beans.
- Tip the mixture into a large ovenproof dish.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, uncovered and without stirring until the beans are tender. The beans will absorb the flavours and the sauce will thicken.
- Allow to cool and then scatter with parsley.
Storage: Once cooled completely, store in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 3 days.