This guidance is intended to provide information on how to recognise sports concussion and on how this should be managed from the time of injury through to safe return to sport.
This information is intended for the general public and for grassroots sport participants, where specialists in sport and exercise medicine are not available to manage concussed individuals.
At all levels in all sports if an athlete is suspected of having a concussion, they must be immediately removed from play. If in doubt, sit them out. No-one should return to sport on the same day with suspected concussion.
Please see the links for further information.
Documents and resources
2023 UCI Cycling World Championships
Scottish and UK sports concussion guidance resources
- Scottish sports concussion guidance
- Scottish sports concussion guidance card
- Scottish sports concussion guidance pocket card
- Scottish sports concussion guidance pocket card (Black and white)
- Consensus statement on concussion in sport June 2023
- NEW! UK Concussion Guidelines for Non-Elite (Grassroots) Sport April 2023