Reporting To: Head of Hospitality
Hours: 35 hours, Mon – Fri – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: St Andrews
Contract: Full time – Permanent
Based in St Andrews, The R&A runs professional championships including The Open and the AIG Women’s British Open, elite amateur events, international matches and rankings. The R&A, through R&A Rules Ltd, governs the sport worldwide, outside of the United States and Mexico, on behalf of over 36 million golfers in 143 countries and with the consent of 157 organisations from amateur and professional golf. The R&A is at the forefront in modernising the sport and making it more relevant to today’s society.
The R&A’s purpose is to make golf more accessible, appealing and inclusive and to ensure it is thriving 50 years from now. Our Commercial department plays a key role in supporting that purpose and we are looking for a Sales Executive to join that team. As part of the sales team you will be responsible for contributing towards the sales of hospitality experiences for The Open Championship. The successful candidates will exhibit the desire and drive to be part of a winning team through effective sales performance.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Core responsibilities will be but not limited to:
- Develop effective sales initiatives designed to generate suitable leads with “receptive” targets clients
- Develop effective contact strategies. Uses industry research, telesales reconnaissance, networking, referrals, “black book” and other lead generating initiatives
- Where appropriate, conducts effective face to face sales meetings with clients that lead to successful purchases
- Stays in control of the call/meeting follow up, bringing a swift conclusion to the sale
- Reviewing own performance across an agreed range of performance measures and KPI’s and taking remedial action where necessary
- Manages and maintains an effective sales pipeline specifically designed to timely sales against targets and KPI’s
- Representing The R&A at PR Events, exhibitions, conferences etc with a specific brief to network and find suitable, receptive target client
- Will be expected to carryout outbound calls to news prospects and existing customers
- Defining Purpose of the Role: Sell-out of all hospitality on Championship days. The calibre of the customer base will be such that customer “churn” will be kept to an absolute minimum
- Impact on the business: Hits target, or better, on a very regular basis and can create sales out of nothing. Does not have an over reliance on inbound sales leads. However, does conclude sales from inbound leads with a high strike rate and in good time. Demonstrates pace and urgency in conducting activities that drive successful, profitable sales. Has a good handle on how and where to win short, medium and long-term business and is particularly adept at winning referrals from satisfied customers
- Core selling ability: Focuses entirely on motivating customers to buy. Builds value into any proposition or proposal. Uses a mix of persuading and influencing tactics and is highly skilled at the core skills of questioning, listening, summarising and note taking. Is always able to uncover the client’s needs based on current issues or a desirable future state. Always sells what a product or solution does, not what it is
- Product expertise: Is a real product “champion” and knows the product inside out. Has a thorough understanding of where the product/service is differentiated, what is unique about it and where its inherent strengths lie
- Manages own performance: Has a clear understanding of own targets, objectives and KPI’s, reviews constantly and therefore know where they stand against them at any given time. Has a strong sense of purpose and sets and maintains high standards. Commits to achieving said targets and takes responsibility for the actions and activities required to achieve. Has a very clear picture of what they need to do to hit target. Requires little management time and intervention
- Improves consistently: Acts to improve performance, is very self-aware and analytical. Has a positive attitude toward feedback, training and coaching and uses them to improve performance, never rests on their laurels
- Thinks about approach: Evaluates own performance outside of any formal management review and often uses other resources to learn and improve performance. Is unafraid of trying new strategies, tactics and plans to drive revenues. Often comes up with innovative plans and creative solutions, is analytical and enjoys successfully overcoming problems and hurdles. Doesn’t always stick to the tried and tested, knows how to change the game when required
- Acts ethically: Always acts in a fair-minded manner, doesn’t lie or mislead clients deliberately. Has in mind the win-win solution when negotiating
- Customer focused: Has an in-depth knowledge of key clients and contacts within an account. Is trusted, known and liked. Easily picks up referrals and follows contacts if they move to new positions or companies. Spends time researching and understanding customers and their markets. Finds out what interest’s contacts and can display like mindedness on a regular basis
- Customer facing competencies (Creates trust, initial mind-set, connects, wins insight)
- General competencies (Impacts on results, improves self, self-motivated and empowered, controls the controllable & values driven)
- Process competencies (Sales pipeline management, four domains, insight sheet & contact strategy)
In addition, the successful candidate will require:
- Application of the Consultative Selling Skills (Questioning, active listening, taking notes, probe specifics, interpret/understand, influence/persuade, build commitment, handle resistance, close)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in front line B2B sales by telephone (B2C sales experience is a bonus)
- Has benefited from regular sales training experience
- Knowledgeable, being able to execute fully the sales strategy, helping to improve and evolve new strategies and business initiatives where relevant
- Passion for sport where the individual is both knowledgeable and capable of discussing golf/sport at length
- Highly developed levels of communication, networking and influencing skills
- Strategic prospecting and cold calling capability at a corporate level
- Experience in sporting, corporate hospitality and or sponsorship sales
Interviews will be taking place week commencing Monday 22nd July 2019.
To apply for this vacancy, please send your c.v. and covering letter, stating your salary expectations to Laura Kane on firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of Wednesday 17th July 2019.
How your information will be used
If you have any questions about The R&A’s use of your data, please contact us.
This job description is written as an indication of the nature and scope of duties and responsibilities. It is not intended as a fully descriptive or definitive list and jobholders will be expected to carry out other duties assigned which are appropriate to the position.