Department: Finance and Legal
Reporting To: Head of Legal
Hours: 35 hours, Mon – Fri – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: St Andrews
Contract: Full time – Permanent
Based in St Andrews, The R&A runs professional championships including The Open and the AIG Women’s British Open, elite amateur events, international matches and rankings. The R&A, through R&A Rules Ltd, governs the sport worldwide, outside of the United States and Mexico, on behalf of over 36 million golfers in 143 countries and with the consent of 157 organisations from amateur and professional golf. The R&A is at the forefront in modernising the sport and making it more relevant to today’s society.
The R&A’s purpose is to make golf more accessible, appealing and inclusive and to ensure it is thriving 50 years from now. The R&A is seeking to recruit a Solicitor to support our Head of Legal.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Core responsibilities are:
- To assist the Head of Legal in providing legal advice to The R&A Group of Companies and The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for the procurement of goods and services, rights agreements relating to R&A Championships and other commercial contracts
- Advising on data protection compliance
- Advising on intellectual property matters including licensing, enforcement and management of The R&A’s trade mark portfolio
- Support on property matters including land rental agreements for R&A Championships.
- Drafting, updating and managing policies and procedures
- Assisting with reporting to senior management, the Board and committees on legal matters
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 2-4 years PQE
- Must be a qualified solicitor admitted to practise in Scotland
- Experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts
- Experience of advising clients on data protection compliance
- Experience of intellectual property law and intellectual property contracts
- A knowledge and interest in golf and of working in the sports industry is advantageous
In addition, the successful candidate will require:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to deliver accurate, high quality work to tight deadlines
- Confidentiality and discretion required at all times
- Effective time and matter management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally
To apply for this vacancy, please send your c.v. and covering letter, stating your salary expectations to Laura Kane on firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of 29 March 2019.
How your information will be used
If you have any questions about The R&A’s use of your data, please contact us.
This job description is written as an indication of the nature and scope of duties and responsibilities. It is not intended as a fully descriptive or definitive list and jobholders will be expected to carry out other duties assigned which are appropriate to the position.