An opportunity has arisen for a positive, driven team player to join the Scottish Squash Board as a Director of Finance and Commercial. The successful individual will gain expertise of supporting and advising a small and dynamic Board. As a Board member, they will help to shape the future of the sport of squash in Scotland, particularly in relation to overseeing the next stage of the modernisation of the sport; continuing the positive culture that is being developed across the sport, further building of our positive partnerships / relationships as we build to the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham 2022. This is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for sport and presents potential for the development of new/existing skills, meeting new people and new networks and making a genuine difference to sport in Scotland.
All Board directors share the legal responsibilities that go along with being a Board Director of promoting good governance, enabling and monitoring organisational performance and supporting the executive team, according to the Scottish Squash Articles of Association.
Board Director Finance and Commercial and Chair Finance and HR Committee
- In liaison with the Chair, fellow Directors, the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer and the Finance Consultant, to provide strategic input into Scottish Squash financial policies and to exercise oversight of the Company's budgets and forecasts, at least quarterly, in order to ensure the maintenance of a sound financial platform at all times.
- To Chair the Scottish Squash Finance, HR and Commercial Sub Committee (a Board Committee).
- To offer specific support to the Scottish Squash Board and Executive Team in relation to Commercial Strategy development and implementation.
General Role of Directors (individually and collectively)
- To provide leadership of Scottish Squash, as the Company, within a policy and procedural framework of effective controls, which enable risk to be assessed and managed.
- To set the company’s strategic aims, ensuring that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the Company to meet its objectives, contributing to the formulation of Scottish Squash Strategic and Annual Plans
- To set the Company’s values and standards and ensure that its obligations to its members, to the sport and to other stakeholders (including funders and all its statutory obligations) are understood and met.
- To exercise all reasonable care and judgement, to uphold the highest standards of integrity and probity, and to safeguard the name and reputation of the Company.
- To ensure the Company accounts present a true and fair reflection of its actions and financial performance, and that the necessary internal financial control systems are put in place and monitored regularly and rigorously.
- To scrutinise the performance of Scottish Squash operational management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and to monitor the reporting of performance against agreed strategic and operational plans and budgets.
- To develop a constructive working relationship with the Chair, fellow Directors, CEO and Senior Management Team, providing support and guidance in areas of particular expertise and knowledge, and to motivate the Scottish Squash team
- To uphold the values of the Association, as an appropriate role model and to ensure, as a Director, that he/she promotes equality and diversity for all its members, staff and other stakeholders.
- To attend Scottish Squash Board meetings, AGM and relevant committee meetings
- To occasionally represent Scottish Squash at various formal and informal functions and meetings.
Summary of Scottish Squash mission statement:
To raise the profile of Squash and public awareness of the health and fitness benefits of Squash for All. To enhance the squash experience for players, coaches, officials and volunteers to keep players playing. To inspire, support and expose Scottish players to enable them to be the best they wish to be.
Scottish Squash is the Governing Body for the sport of Squash in Scotland. Our strategic plan – A Sport for Health outlines our vision to establish Squash as the healthiest sport in Scotland; delivering our core objectives of adhering to the highest standards of organisational governance, raising the profile of the sport, increasing active player membership and winning medals at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
We seek Board Directors who reflect the organisational values: encouraging inclusivity and diversity across the sport, with a focus upon person centred empowerment, encouraging collaboration across the sport and connectivity / partnership working. We actively encourage support and empowerment of all to be the best they wish to be.
The Board meets 4 time each year and there will be a further 4 meetings of the Finance and HR Committee for which the successful individual will act as Chair.
The role is unremunerated, however reasonable travel and meeting expenses will be reimbursed according to Scottish Squash policies and procedures.
The role is accountable to and for the Scottish Squash President and Chair of the Board Mark Adderley.
The Director for Finance and Commercial will be elected onto the Board of Management for a three-year term with a possibility of being elected for a further 3 years at the AGM.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a CV and short cover letter stating why they are motivated to apply for the role to: email@example.com for the attention of Mark Adderley – Chair Scottish Squash
Scottish Squash is committed to driving equality and inclusion in sport and we welcome applications from all members of the community. If you would like to discuss the role, please contact Maggie Still on 07718526366. Applications close on 15th November 2019.