Location:Scotland (flexible based, in and around partner offices as required)
Salary:£30,000 - £34,000 (Full-time)
Scottish Motor Sports (SMS) are seeking a National Development Manager to lead the development of two and four wheel motor sport in Scotland. The role will be focussed on managing the implementation of the final period of the 2016-2020 strategy, whilst shaping the future strategic direction of SMS as we move to a new funding cycle.
Scottish Motor Sports was established in 2011 as a collaboration between the bodies that govern two and four wheel motor sport; the Scottish Auto Cycle Union (SACU) and the Motor Sports Association, now known as Motorsport UK.
Through taking this new collaborative approach, the initial objectives were to create an alignment within the Scottish motor sport community that enabled SMS to speak with one voice - for all two and four wheel motor sport - and represent the best interests of the whole sport to Government and legislators.
As we move into the final period of the 2016 – 2020 funding cycle, the National Development Manager will be responsible for maintaining the strong momentum to deliver our current strategic targets while working to develop our new strategy as we move towards the next funding cycle. Within this, there will be a continued focus in the higher and further education sectors as we look to build on the existing club network and competition structures. Additionally, the new manager will build on the work that has brought about a huge improvement in the development of a coaching culture within Scottish motor sport, continuing to expand our existing network of Motorsport UK coaches and the ongoing development of the new SACU coaching structure.
All applicants must display a strong aptitude in understanding the key fundamental principles of sport development and how these are applied now and in the future to shape the organisation against our vision:“To put motor sport at the heart of the Scottish sporting landscape”. This is an ongoing process; the successful applicant will be responsible for bringing this vision to fruition.
Main purpose of the role:
Reporting to the SACU and Motorsport UK, the managing partners of the SMS Agreement, the role of the National Development Manager will be to:
Lead the SMS development team and take overall responsibility for the completion and remaining delivery of the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan.Shape the future strategic direction of SMS in particular, lead the development and delivery of our new strategy for 2020 - 2024Take responsibility for developing key high level stakeholder relationsDay to day management of the SMS Development Officer
Be committed to achieving a positive and permanent change for motor sport in Scotland, through working to mobilise the Scottish motorsport community behind the vision‘to put motor sport at the heart of the Scottish sporting landscape’Create, develop andmaintain strong effective partnerships, and work to become the recognised point of contact for motor sport within Scottish Government and all key agencies, such as; Sportscotland, EventScotland, Scottish Student Sport.Develop, manage and implement annual operating plans and monitor their success. This includes;
- Lead on all development initiatives such as the delivery of Go Motorsport taster sessions and the development of new student motor sport clubs, as well as overall responsibility for coaching and performance initiatives.
- Lead and coordinate the work of relevant SMS development groups
- Ensure a robust monitoring system is in place to record progress
- Work closely with the SACU and Motorsport UK, to ensure all parties are aligned to the ongoing development activities.
- Report progress to the SMS committee and contribute to meetings as a senior staff member, ensuring effective interfacing of all partnersTake responsibility for the development, implementation and management of annual operating budgetsBuild and maintain a sustainable organisation – ensure SMS operates within our policy structure and best practices across all activities and ensure that operations are financially robustLead on the development and implementation of future strategic plansLead and mentor the Development Officer and ensure their continued professional development is managed suitablyRepresent SMS at relevant national / regional forums and events where necessary
Other duties related to the post of National Development Manager as may be delegated from time to time by SACU and Motorsport UK.Manage the communication channels related to SMS
The successful candidate will share our passion and vision for developing motor sport in Scotland. The candidate must demonstrate that they can meet the following specifications:
- A relevant qualification in a related field or a minimum of 2 years sports development experience
- A degree or HND in sports development or equivalent
- Sports coaching qualification
Work / other experience (employment or voluntary)
- Experience of successfully managing staff, plans budgets
- The capacity to manage a number of different projects simultaneously
- Proven experience of innovation and converting ideas to reality.
- Experience of strategic /business planning, delivery and monitoring.
- Experience of building strong and effective partnerships
- Understanding of Scottish Motor Sports and the role of sports governing bodies
- Awareness of National and Local authority Sports development structures
- Experience and/or strong interest of motor sport and motor sport clubs
- Knowledge of development issues within motor sports
- An ability to devise, negotiate and deliver strategic initiatives.
- Excellent people management skills with an ability to encourage and motivate staff & volunteers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Experienced IT user
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Conflict management skills
Disposition and personal qualities
- Highly self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic
- Confident, tactful and diplomatic
- Able to work efficiently under pressure
- Possess the vision and drive to lead and deliver strategic outcomes
- A commitment to on-going professional development.
- Ability to work flexible hours (weekends and evenings when required)
Please apply in writing enclosing a full CV and covering letter outlining why you should be considered for the role. Two references should be available but will only be collected if the applicant is successful. Applicants should note any affiliations to clubs or associations linked to the SACU or Motorsport UK or the Association of Scottish Car Clubs.
Applications should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with message subject “SMS National Development Manager Application”
Applications will close at 1200 hrs 7th January 2019.