Role Type: Non-Executive Director
Term of Office: 2 Years to 2021 (Maximum of 9 Years to 2028, see below)
- Board of Directors (member)
- Business Development Working Group (member)
The Marketing & Communications Director role provides an exciting opportunity to work with a new governing body, through a time of growth and development, underpinned by our new strategic plan. It is the perfect time to get involved and help shape and review how we communicate to members, non-members, partners and generally how we present the best image of the sport. Applicants don’t need to have prior knowledge of target shooting, but expertise in communications and/or marketing and a willingness to throw yourself into this brilliant sport are important.
Who Are Scottish Target Shooting?
Scottish Target Shooting (STS) is a unified governing body created in 2016 to help develop the sport of target shooting in Scotland. As a new governing body, we are looking to have a positive impact on clubs and help individuals of all abilities, across all the various disciplines of the sport. Having just completed our last 4 year investment cycle this is an exciting time to get involved for the next 4 year cycle implementing our new strategic plan, focusing on supporting and growing the different varieties of target shooting from the grassroots up to Commonwealth and Olympic Games level. Scotland has an excellent track record in the sport and after winning 6 medals at the Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast and now having a world champion we also want to create a positive profile around the sport and the role of the Marketing & Communications Director will be crucial in how we present ourselves.
What Will Be My Tasks and Responsibilities?
The Marketing & Communications Director will provide strategic leadership over the company’s communications, ensuring the integrity and appeal of information sent out to our different audiences. The role will ensure the Board, staff, athletes and coaches are all clear on our what messaging is. You will be asked to drive the following areas, supported by your fellow directors on the Board and staff:
- Provide the strategic lead in developing a communication strategy for the company
- Report to the Board on the effectiveness of STS’s communications
- Provide support and advice to staff on specific communications issues
- Provide the strategic lead in developing systems to help the company better understand the views of the membership directly and through fellow directors and staff
- Support the recruitment and management of comms interns
- Complete any additional projects as requested by the Chair
How Long Will I Be Expected To Serve For?
The Marketing & Communications Director follows the same terms as all directors, with the exception of the Chair. The Marketing & Communications Director will serve for 3 years (or until the AGM in 2022, whichever is sooner). Following completion of the first term, there will be an opportunity to discuss whether the post holder and Board both have a desire to continue for a further term of 3 years. If the second term is completed, this process will be repeated and there will be an opportunity, both parties agreeing, for the post holder to serve a third (and final) 3 year term. Upon completion of a third term, the post holder must step down from the Board. On standing down from the role, the individual is not eligible for appointment to a Board position for a minimum period of 12 months but is still able to serve on Working Groups, if appropriate and willing to do so.
What Will Be My Annual Commitments?
The following meetings are the regular, scheduled meetings that can be planned in the diary in advance. There will be times when other meetings are required but the volunteer aspect of the role will always be respected:
- 4-6 STS Board meetings held for 2-3 hours every 2 months
- 3-4 STS Business Development Group meetings held for 2 hours every 3 months
- STS AGM held on a weekend day in April
Is This A Paid Position?
This position, as with all other Non-Executive Directors on the STS Board, is unpaid. However, all reasonable out-of-pocket expense incurred on STS business will be reimbursed immediately via BACS.
What Is The Organisational Structure?
The Marketing & Communications Director is an Officer of the Board and a Non-Executive Director, appointed in accordance with the Articles of Association. The Marketing & Communications Director is also a member of the Business Development Group.
What Knowledge, Skills & Qualities Are Required?
Applicants are not expected to fulfil all the criteria but should be able to demonstrate the majority of the following:
Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience in marketing utilising various media platforms
- Some experience in working with sponsors to provide appropriate exposure data and opportunities
- Knowledge of the most suitable tools for marketing the direction, leadership and strategic vision of STS in a way that can inspire confidence and commitment from others
- An excellent communicator
- An understanding of legal and corporate requirements regarding communications
- Uphold high standards of integrity
- Support other Directors of STS while monitoring their own conduct
- Question intelligently, debate constructively, challenge rigorously and decide dispassionately
- Listen sensitively to the views of others
What Is The Application Process?
Applicants are required to submit a Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter outlining why they think they would be suitable for this role, what their strengths are and any future aspirations they might have for STS.
Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com by 31st October
with the subject header ‘STS Marketing & Comms Director Application’
Stage 1: All applicants will receive a response confirming receipt of their application. A review will be made of all applications and each applicant will be informed if they have been chosen for stage 2.
Stage 2: Applicant selected for stage 2 will be invited for a discussion with the STS COO and another Board member. All candidates will then be contacted to be told if they have been successful or not within 2 weeks of the discussion. The successful candidate will begin at an agreed date and will receive a handover and induction meetings with STS staff.
I Have Questions About The Role, Who Can I Contact?
If you have any questions about the role, history of STS, organisation structure or anything else that will help inform your decision to apply, please speak to the STS Chief Operating Officer. Please call the STS Office on 0131 467 2489, email on firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a call by following: https://calendly.com/stscoo/call
Scottish Target Shooting is an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all members of the community.