Number of working hours: 35 hours / week Salary: Competitive
The Football Association of Wales (FAW) is the governing body of football in Wales and is responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels from grassroots through to the professional game.
The FAW Pyramid Review is a key strategic objective for the FAW, in its More Than a Game Strategy and building stronger and more sustainable clubs is a critically important aim for the Association. As part of this Review, the FAW will take direct control for the management of Tier 2 football in Wales in the 2019/20 season. The FAW is now seeking to appoint a General Manager for the new Tier 2 League (North).
The General Manager for the new Tier 2 League (North) will report into the Head of Competitions. The post holder will be responsible for all League administration for the Tier 2 League (North), as well as the relevant reserve and youth Leagues. The post-holder will also be responsible for developing and promoting these Leagues. The successful candidate will have a passion for domestic football in Wales, experience in sports administration, experience of stakeholder engagement and ideally digital marketing, communications and media experience.
- To be the primary FAW point of contact for all Tier 2 League (North) Clubs and where necessary, to offer support and assistance to those Clubs.
- To lead the organisation, administration and delivery of Tier 2 League (North) and its Reserve and/or youth Leagues. - To create and deliver a league development plan.
- To manage the Tier 2 Compliance Regulations programme and assisting with Club Action Plans for the Tier 2 League (North) clubs and promotion candidates.
- To lead the match operations and match promotion plan for the annual Tier 3 Play-Off Final from the 2020/21 season.
- To work closely with the FAW Referees Manager in order to make assistant referee appointments for the League. - To report into the relevant FAW Board on behalf of the Tier 2 League (North).
- To develop and implement a marketing and communications plan for the Tier 2 League (North), to include website and social media channels.
- To explore funding options for the development of the league and support clubs with applications for this where possible and necessary.
- To act as the key contact in north Wales for any of the FAW ‘s League sponsors, suppliers or partners, based in the north of the country.
- Work effectively with FAW staff and key partner organisations e.g. FAW Trust to support clubs with the development of community, marketing, business or communications plans.
- Develop and support media opportunities and fan engagement for clubs.
- To execute additional tasks as required and as instructed by the Department Head.
Skills & Competencies
- Educated to degree level or equivalent work experience. - A passion to develop domestic football in Wales at Tier 2 of the pyramid.
- Understanding and knowledge of the FAW Pyramid and Pyramid Review.
- Understanding and knowledge of League and Cup administration.
- Understanding and knowledge of fan/stakeholder/community engagement.
- Administrative experience in the sports industry (paid or voluntary).
- Confident using social media platforms.
- Marketing/media experience ideally within the sporting sector.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- The ability to work well alone and within a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent ICT skills.
- The ability to deliver presentations, including to Board Members.
- Self-motivated and the ability to work outside of normal working hours.
- Demonstrate flexibility.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Excellent organisation skills.
- The ability to speak Welsh.
- Knowledge of the FAW Tier 2 Compliance Regulations. - Full and clean driving licence
The position is full time and will be based in Mid or North Wales, at a venue to be agreed between the successful candidate and the Head of Competitions. The post holder will be required at times to perform their duties or additional work or attend training outside of normal office hours and/or in different locations, either domestically or internationally, at the discretion of the department Head.
The FAW integrates equality of opportunity into all aspects of its business including appointments. The principles of fair and open competition will apply and appointments will be made on merit.
Applications and Interviews
- Applications must be submitted to Andrew Howard, Head of Competitions, by the application deadline of Wednesday 20th March 2019.
- Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- In order to apply, please send a current curriculum vitae and a statement of suitability.
- Applications should be sent to the email address; (email@example.com), clearly marking the subject of the email: ‘Tier 2 League (North) General Manager’.
- All interviews will be held in North Wales between the 26th March and 3rd April 2019. The interview process will consist of competency based and standard interview questions, as well as a presentation.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and the submission of 2 character/professional references to the satisfaction of the FAW.