Full Time Post
We’re a sports governing body based at the University of Stirling and it is our job to encourage the nation to get involved in triathlon.
If you are a dedicated communications professional seeking a vibrant organisation to make your mark, then we might just have the job for you.
Being part of our organisation is special, it’s more than a job, it’s an opportunity to build something that you are proud of and you will get to tell some amazing stories.
We are looking to appoint a talented and motivated full time Communications Officer to our existing Events & Marketing team. This is a varied role and the right person will be responsible for content production as well as assisting in the delivery of a range of marketing and communication activity.
This includes website and social media content development, the creation and distribution of electronic newsletters and reporting on digital statistics. You will also support our membership team by managing membership communications and promotions.
The Communications Officer will join our energetic and dynamic team and play a key role in supporting our overall marketing and communications strategy across multiple platforms.
You will be confident talking to our membership and be willing to share their stories, and ours through written and filmed media.
The role will be based at the Triathlon Scotland headquarters, located at The University of Stirling, Monday to Friday. The nature of the role will require some flexibility with regards to evening and weekend work, and occasional travel to events and clubs across Scotland. To account for flexible working, Triathlon Scotland operates a TOIL (time off in lieu) policy.
In return you will receive a competitive salary (£21,000), 6% pension contribution and 28 days annual leave and 10 public holidays.
Informal enquiries can be made to Triathlon Scotland’s Events & Marketing Manager, Gemma Simpson, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01786 466928.
To apply, please complete our application and equality monitoring forms, and email your application form to our Operations Manager email@example.com.
If invited for interview, you will be asked to create a short film in which you help us to understand why we’d love to employ you. You will also be asked to send us something that you have designed that will stop us in our tracks!
Should you require assistance with the application process, please contact Pamela and we will make every effort to meet your specific requirements.
The closing date will be 10am Monday 18 February 2019. Our expected interview date will be Tuesday 26 February 2019.
Triathlon Scotland is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from all suitably qualified persons are encouraged. Details of our Equal Opportunities Policy
Title: Communications Officer
Contract type: Full Time, open ended (Includes occasional weekend and evening work)
Salary: £21,000. 6% pension contribution
Organisation: Triathlon Scotland
Department: Events & Marketing
Job based at: University of Stirling Triathlon Scotland Head Quarters
Reports to: Events & Marketing Manager
To lead on Triathlon Scotland’s digital communications to produce engaging website and social media content so that we can inspire people to participate in our sport and engage our vibrant membership.
MAIN TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To maintain, create and upload content to Triathlon Scotland’s website including weekend previews / reviews, In Focus articles, top tips series and athlete profiles.
- To create and upload content to Triathlon Scotland’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, You Tube)
- To attend events, including Championship events, to create content for website and social media
- To maintain the Triathlon Scotland photo and video database and edit images and video as required
- To create content, upload and distribute Triathlon Scotland’s newsletters (Club and Membership)
- To create communications, marketing assets and content to support the business needs and specific projects or campaigns
- To create and send email campaigns for all aspects of membership
- To create social media content for the promotion of membership to encourage membership sign-up, increase member retention and the promotion of member benefits
- To create social media content to welcome clubs as they affiliate
- To create and send email campaigns for event feedback from members and to encourage non-member competitors to sign up to Triathlon Scotland membership
- To assist with the creation of communications, marketing assets and content to support the promotion of Triathlon Scotland, including our performance centre and our development activities
- To provide communication support to all Triathlon Scotland staff / board as required, including proof reading and guidance on how to use content management systems
- To attend meetings and training courses with key partners (such as sportscotland)
- To attend and positively contribute to team meetings and strategic planning team away days
- To provide reports on the performance of Triathlon Scotland communications (Google analytics / social media insights / press cuttings) and to produce a monthly infographic of content performance
- All other duties as requested by Triathlon Scotland
RELEVANT SKILLS AND/OR APTITUDES
- Excellent communication skills across verbal, written, and electronic forms
- An understanding and confidence in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube social media channels
- Ability to identify and create content that is engaging and inspiring for its audience
- Strong interpersonal skills - able to develop and maintain excellent relationships with staff teams, stakeholders, partners and customers
- Willingness to keep up to date with emerging technologies
- Well organised and able to prioritise workload
- Self-starter with strong problem solving skills
- Excellent time management
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience using content management systems (WordPress)
- Experience using social media and associated management platforms (Hootsuite)
- Experience using newsletter systems (Mail Chimp)
- Experience of editing images (e.g. Lightroom / Photoshop)
- Experience of filming and editing video (e.g. Premier Pro)
- Experience of designing content (e.g. InDesign)
- Experience of copywriting and proofreading
- Excellent quality control and attention to detail
- Experience of membership engagement
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud
- An understanding of HTML
- An interest in photography / film making
- Experience and enjoyment of sport and triathlon
- Educated to HND level (or equivalent)
- At least two years of digital media communications experience
- Computer literate, including Office products
- Strong written and oral presentation skills
- Additional computing & IT qualifications
- Creative & innovative worker
- Focused on excellent quality of service
- Self motivated to work independently and part of a team
- Commitment to responding quickly to business needs
- Positive approach to dealing with challenging issues
- Treats people with respect
- Willingness to work flexibly to accommodate occasional evenings and weekend work
- Willingness to attend staff team work away days (October)
- Full driving licence and willingness to occasionally drive a van