Our Purpose To lead the growth and success of badminton in England.
Our Vision To be one of the nation’s most popular sports and consistently win medals at World, Olympic and Paralympic level.
Focus: Pursuing goals with clarity, drive and determination
Ambition: Striving to attain excellence with motivation and passion
Courage: Having the confidence to evolve by making the right decisions for the right reasons
Teamwork: Understanding and respecting each other’s roles and being a supportive unified team
Our Objectives & Strategy
More people taking part in badminton: Grow grass roots badminton
Win world Olympic & Paralympic medals: A system that identifies and develops player potential, A system that delivers consistent World Class performances
Build financial resilience, be a well governed organisation: Greater financial independence & sustainability, Demonstrate compliance with the UK Governance Code
Badminton England is in an exciting period of business transformation as the organisation continues its journey towards the achievement of its vision.
Badminton England is one of the leading governing bodies of sport in England. It has grown the sport to be the fifth biggest participation sport in England, it owns the All England Open Badminton Championships – the greatest and most prestigious Open Championships in the world and a grand slam tournament that reaches a global audience of 250 million annually.
As its strives to consistently medal at World, Olympic and Paralympic level, in little over two years, the performance programme has achieved GB’s first ever Men’s Doubles Olympic medal, a World Championship medal, 6 Commonwealth medals, 3 European golds, one silver and two bronze and in Parabadminton, Team England won 8 World Championship medals including 4 gold and it won an amazing 14 European medals, including 7 gold.
The term of the current Chair comes to an end in June 2019 and Badminton England is searching for an inspiring, motivated Chair, to provide outstanding leadership and play a vital role in supporting and inspiring the next phase of the development of badminton in England.
With the terms of several Directors also coming to an end in June 2019, Badminton England are running a parallel recruitment process to recruit to those positions and will be seeking to appoint the Chair in the first instance as he/she will be a critical part of those appointments.
The Chair is expected to meet the following criteria in order to make a positive and meaningful contribution to the organisation:
- Integrity: High ethical standards
- Sound judgement: Willingness to challenge
- Leadership: Ability to gain respect and attention
- Critical thinking: Creativity, strategic awareness, taking a wider view
- Business acumen: Ability to identify new opportunities, embrace change, innovate
- Assimilation: Rapidly able to absorb new information, especially financial and statistical information
- Determination: Strong drive to be successful
- Political astuteness: Diplomatic. Aware of the possible implications of messages being conveyed
- Learning: Willing to learn and develop self. Learning from mistakes rather than being intimidated by them
- Primary legal responsibilities: Understanding of and compliance with the legal responsibilities of being a Board member
- Commitment: To attending Board meetings and participation in relevant debates. Willingness to take on subsidiary Board activities as a Chair or Board of Directors member. Prepared to use their skills, knowledge and experience as a mentor as and when required.
Main Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the Board in setting direction for Badminton England by working closely with the CEO to develop an ambitious strategy and a regular review process.
- Make certain that there is timely progress and monitoring reports against the annual plan and strategy targets.
- Chair Annual General Meeting, Board and Voting Members General meetings in a fair and disciplined manner to promote engagement of all Board members and attendees in constructive debate and effective decision making.
- Ensure that Badminton England meets the highest standards of corporate governance and seeks compliance with appropriate regulations.
- Approve the timely cycle of Board meetings, agenda items and minutes.
- Set and encourage the correct behaviours necessary to guarantee the effective running of the Board.
- Undertake regular evaluation of the performance of the Board.
- Lead and mentor other Board members to fulfil their responsibilities and enable access to training/coaching/information to enhance their overall contribution to the Board, when required.
- Lead the process of annual appraisal of the performance of the CEO.
- Establish and maintain a close relationship with the CEO, providing support and advice whilst respecting executive responsibility.
- Actively seek to create and build effective relationships with key funding partners and Government.
- Promote effective relationships and open communication with key interfaces.
The Chair will provide objective input and lead the Board’s decision-making process without the potential for a vested interest in the decision outcomes.
- An understanding and agreement of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a corporate body.
- A thorough understanding of the political environment with respect to badminton.
- An understanding of relevant collaborations/partnerships.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills in a variety of situations.
- Ability to balance the need to speak candidly with tact and diplomacy.
Independence and Innovation
- Ability to take an independent view when required.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and open mindedness.
- Able to take a forward looking approach.
- Able to balance the traditions of Badminton with a commercial outlook.
- Awareness of what is required to meet stakeholder expectations.
- Recognise and value the contribution of others.
- Provide timely feedback for support and learning.
- Display attitudes and behaviours that respect and value diversity, and promote equal opportunities.
- Experience of leading Boards/Committees with a proven track record.
- Experience of complex organisations with multiple stakeholders (desirable).
- Experience of leading an organisation through a period of change (desirable).
- Expertise & Experience
In addition to the experience and capability outlined in this brief, Badminton England would be specifically interested in individuals with expertise in:
Our aim is to continue to drive transformation, both culturally and technically, to improve out pro-activity and become more agile in identifying future opportunities.
Commercial Leisure Sector
A key strategic target for Badminton England is to significantly increase the number of players taking part in regular organised play and competition. In this context the plan is to build and develop commercial partnerships with the major leisure centre operators.
Badminton England is the owner, and host, of the YONEX All England Open Badminton Championships. Our aim is to continue to grow the Championships into an event that is truly recognised within the British sporting calendar; to do this we are seeking to grow the investment and partnerships in the UK and globally that can help us deliver this exciting aspiration.
Badminton England relies on volunteers assisting at events and organising / delivering local badminton activities. Further development and emphasis is required to create a modern volunteering recruitment, deployment and retention strategy.
Competition and Development
Badminton England create and support pathways to encourage players to fulfil their potential at all stages of their development. Further creative and innovative ways to signpost these opportunities are important to the ongoing growth of the sport.
Elite Sport Performance
Success at major events is a key focus for Badminton England. Leadership and continuous improvement at elite level is critical.
Terms of Appointment
- It is expected that the Chair will commit up to 35 days per year.
- This will consist of chairing 6 - 8 Board meetings per year, ex officio membership of all Advisory Boards and Standing Committees, chairing all General Meetings, regular meetings with and support for the CEO, and attending events in an ambassadorial capacity.
- The majority of meetings will take place at the National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes.
- The role is non-remunerated. Badminton England will reimburse domestic expenses for Board activity. Should overseas travel be required, such expenses will be reimbursed.
- Makes themselves available for other meetings / functions where representation on behalf of Badminton England is required
SRi is a boutique global executive search and consulting firm focused on sport, media, content, and technology.
We work as one partner-led team with staff based in key global markets across eleven offices on four continents. We offer dedicated and specific sector, function and region expertise. Our services include executive search, board assessment, succession planning, salary benchmarking, advising clients on their internal and external hiring strategy, new market entry and multi-vacancy projects.
We are proud to be the exclusive partner of Badminton England on these critical appointments.
To apply please submit a CV and Cover Note outlining your relevant experience and reason for application to email@example.com
All applications should be submitted by 20th February 2019.