Location: Based at British Orienteering's Head Office in Matlock, Derbyshire, with the opportunity for home or flexible working. Domestic travel is required.
Reports to: Chief Executive of British Orienteering
Contract: Fixed-term until 31 March 2021
Salary: circa £36,000, with auto-enrolment employer contribution pension, cycle-to-work and tech schemes
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
British Orienteering is the national governing body for orienteering in the United Kingdom.
British Orienteering has recently embarked on a strategic refresh, and we are reshaping the way in which we support and serve our membership.
As part of this programme, we are creating a new Operations Manager role within our management team. This person will report directly to and work closely with the CEO, as part of a small but focused group of professional staff.
You will be part of the leadership team of British Orienteering, providing essential support and input to the CEO and the Board of Directors. You will lead and oversee the development and delivery of some of the key ambitions set out in our strategic plan.
You will actively support and deputise for the CEO when required and will provide leadership in key areas of the organisation including child protection, safeguarding and diversity.
We expect you to have experience of working within a sports or leisure organisation, and to demonstrate a strong involvement in, connection to or understanding of orienteering.
- Assist the CEO in driving the delivery of British Orienteering’s mission and strategic plan
- Assist the CEO in ensuring the organisation fulfils its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities
- Work with the CEO and senior staff to prepare strategic business plans and annual budgets for approval by the Board of Directors
- Work with the CEO and senior staff to ensure that British Orienteering operates within the annual budget and delivers business plans in line with key performance indicators
- Assist the CEO in ensuring that British Orienteering’s staff and volunteers understand and are focused on achieving our strategic goals
- Lead on producing data and insights to influence investment decisions
- Lead the planning, creation and delivery of British Orienteering’s communication and marketing strategy, to increase awareness and membership of British Orienteering
- Oversee the delivery of development services and the work of the development team.
- Oversee the development and administration of British Orienteering’s athlete pathway and international teams
- Be the Lead Safeguarding Officer, leading the implementation of British Orienteering’s Safeguarding Policy and acting as the first point of contact for safeguarding and athlete welfare issues
- Lead on the implementation of the Diversity Action Plan
- Liaise with key national funding partners, including funding partners, ensuring that we are delivering any agreed objectives
The deadline for applications for the Operations Manager role is 17:00 on Friday 15th November 2019 and interviews will take place on
Friday, 29th November 2019.