The Scottish Government updated the official guidance for exercise and activity on 9 July.
This guidance allows for participation in a wider range of sports and physical activity. During participation you should ensure you are applying physical distancing and good hygiene rules and following all other Scottish Government COVID-19 guidance. We have published a Coronavirus (COVID 19) & Sport FAQ.
A guide has been developed to enable Scottish Governing Bodies of Sport to develop sport-specific guidance for the Phase 3 return to sport and physical activity (updated 5 August).
You should follow the latest sport-specific guidance as published below.
- Horse Scotland Phase 3
- Angling Scotland Phase 3
- Scottish Archery Phase 3
- Scottish Athletics Phase 3
- Scottish Auto Cycle Union Phase 3
- Badminton Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Basketball Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Bowls Scotland Phase 3
- Boxing Scotland Phase 3
- Camanachd Association Phase 2
- Scottish Canoe Association Phase 3
- Scottish Cricket Phase 2
- Scottish Croquet Association Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Cycling (including mountain biking) Phase 3
- Scottish Disability Sport Phase 3
- Scottish Fencing Phase 3
- Scottish Football Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Golf Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Gymnastics Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Hang Gliding & Paragliding Federation Phase 2 (PDF)
- Scottish Hockey Phase 3 (PDF)
- Horse Scotland Phase 2
- Judo Scotland Phase 3
- Scottish Ju-Jitsu Phase 3
- Scottish Karate Phase 3
- Lacrosse Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Mountaineering Scotland Phase 2
- Netball Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Orienteering Association Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Rowing Phase 3 version 2
- Scottish Rugby Phase 3
- Scotland Rugby League Phase 3
- Scottish Sub Aqua Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Surfing Federation Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Swimming Phase 3
- Taekwondo Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Target Shooting Phase 3 (PDF)
- Tennis Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Triathlon Scotland
- Scottish Tug of War Association Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Volleyball Phase 3 (PDF)
- Waterski & Wakeboard Scotland Phase 3 (PDF)
- Scottish Wrestling Phase 3 (PDF)
- Royal Yachting Association Scotland Phase 3
Return to performance sport guidance
sportscotland and the Active Scotland Division of Scottish Government have been working with partners to develop guidance, appropriate to Scotland, which continues to follow the route-map through and out of the COVID-19 pandemic. This included the publication of Phase 1 Resumption of Performance Sport guidance, which allowed for an initial return to professional/performance sport for athletes, coaches and support staff.
This was followed up by Phase 2 which further helped support the return of competitive sport. It allows for individual indoor training for professional/performance athletes, with appropriate safety protocols, and also for small groups of athletes/staff to interact with closer contact outdoors. This can include close quarters coaching and tackling in team sports but this will be introduced in a phased approach.
We said we would continue to work with partners across the system to produce further guidance, as appropriate and when safe to do so. Approval has now been given by Scottish Government Ministers for the next phases of the Resumption of Performance Sport guidance which refer to the return of domestic and cross-border competition.
These measures, and those announced earlier this month, are very positive steps forward for the sport sector as we seek to rebuild our systems at all levels. We will continue to work with SGBs to advance our plans over the coming weeks.